is the process by which managers establish the structure of working relationships among employees to allow them to achieve a company’s goals efficiently and effectively..
MGT 521 Final Exam 2018
1. Which of the following is a feature of a high-performing organization?
The managers choose the right goals to pursue and use resources appropriately to meet them.
The managers choose inappropriate goals but use resources effectively to achieve them.
The organization produces a low-quality but affordable product.
The organization produces a product that customers will want to buy but will not be able to afford.
2. A differentiation strategy can be employed by organizations to:
achieve flexibility in organizational culture.
enhance the value consumers perceive in their products.
reduce costs in all their functions.
ensure strict control over various departments by a system of checks and balances.
3. __________ is the formal system of task and job reporting relationships that determines how employees utilize resources to achieve a company’s goals.
4. Which of the following statements is true of an evolutionary change in an organization?
It is effected through reengineering and innovation.
It helps the organization adapt to gradual changes in the environment.
It is likely to result in a radically new structure for the organization.
It involves quickly finding new ways to be effective.
5. __________ is the process by which managers regulate and monitor how efficiently and effectively an organization as a whole works to achieve organizational goals.
6. How does an increase in job specialization lead to higher organizational performance?
Each worker specializes in a different set of tasks over a period of time.
Workers join different groups and each group performs the same task at increasing costs over a period of time.
Each worker becomes responsible for all the different tasks involved in producing a product thereby increasing productivity.
Workers performing specific tasks become much more skilled and produce a product faster while working in groups.
7. Identify a true statement about an effective control system?
It is an informal system that helps managers make decisions.
It allows managers to take only programmed decisions.
It is limited in its capacity to provide managers with information in a timely manner.
It provides managers with accurate information about organizational performance.
8. Which of the following principles identified by Henri Fayol focuses on the chain of command with an organization?
An employee should receive orders from only one supervisor.
Authority should be concentrated at the top of the chain of command in an organization.
A manager should not encourage or allow his or her employees to be innovative and creative.
A manager is not entitled to ask for his or her employees’ obedience.
9. __________ is the process by which managers establish the structure of working relationships among employees to allow them to achieve a company’s goals efficiently and effectively.
is the process by which managers establish the structure of working relationships among employees to allow them to achieve a company’s goals efficiently and effectively.