perform normalization on a crude table.
back to top
In this task, you will perform normalization on a crude table so that it could be stored as a relational database.
The staff at ‘Franklin Consulting’ have to routinely visit their clients in other cities. Franklin have a fleet of cars available for staff travels. During their trips, the staff sometimes need to fill up the car fuel. Upon returning from the trip, the staff claim that expenses back by providing the fueling receipt and some other essential information. The accountant records all of that information in a spreadsheet. Below are the spreadsheet column headers and a sample of data from each column.
|Column Name||Example Data|
|Staff name||Sarah James|
|Car details||Toyota Land Cruiser 2015|
|Service station||Coles Express|
|Station address||27 Queen St, Campbelltown, NSW 2560|
|Fill up time||30 Jan 2020, 2:45 pm|
|Fuel type||Unleaded 95|
|Cost per litre||$1.753|
Given the information in above table,
1. Draw a dependency diagram to show the functional dependencies existing between columns. State any assumptions you make about the data and the attributes shown in the table. (3 marks)
2. Show the step by step process of decomposing the above table into a set of 3NF relations. (5 marks)
3. Review the design of your 3NF relations and make necessary amendments to define proper PKs, FKs and atomic attributes. Any additional relations may also be defined at this stage. Make sure all of your attributes conform to the naming conventions. (3 marks)
4. Draw the Crow’s Foot ERD to illustrate your final design. (4 marks)
For guidance on how to normalise database relations from a dependency diagram, watch this very short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkUyuLLgmwQ
All dependency diagrams and ERD must be created using a drawing tool. Hand-drawn diagrams are NOT acceptable.
back to top
This assessment task will assess the following learning outcome/s:
- be able to model complex business rules using Entity Relationship Diagrams (ERDs).
- be able to apply normalisation techniques to optimise a database design
The post perform normalization on a crude table appeared first on My Assignment Online.