In the prospectus, proposal and dissertation there are ten key or strategic points that need to be clear, simple, correct, and aligned to ensure the research is doable, valuable, and credible. These points, which provide a guide or vision for the research. The ten strategic points emerge from researching literature on a topic, which is based on or aligned with, the defined need in the literature as well as the researcher’s personal passion, future career purpose, and degree area. You have practiced identifying the ten points in published studies, the next required skill is to define the ten points for an original as yet conducted research study. In this assignment, you will consider a potential gap in the literature that is emerging from your ongoing reading in your field of interest including
including no less than five specific research studies, and you will draft the 10 Strategic Points for a potential dissertation research study based on that identified gap.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- Important note: Successful completion of this assignment does not indicate that this topic and the related 10 Strategic Points have been approved for use as your dissertation research study topic.
- The College of Doctoral Studies recognizes the diversity of learners in our programs and the varied interests in research topics for their dissertations in the Social Sciences.
Dissertation topics must, at a minimum, be aligned to General Psychology in the Ph.D. program, Leadership in the Ed.D. Organizational Leadership program, Adult Instruction in the Ed.D. Teaching and Learning program, Management in the DBA program, and Counseling Practice, Counselor Education, Clinical Supervision or Advocacy/Leadership within the Counseling field in the Counselor Education Ph.D. program.
If there are questions regarding appropriate alignment of a dissertation topic to the program, the respective program chair will be the final authority for approval decisions.
Specifically, although the College prefers a learner’s topic align with the program emphasis, this alignment is not “required.” The College will remain flexible on the learner’s dissertation topic if it aligns with the degree program in which the learner is enrolled. The Ph.D. program in General Psychology does not support clinically based research.
- Locate and download “10 Strategic Points Template with Instructions” located in the DC (https://dc.gcu.edu/dissertation/dissertation-templates/10_strategic_points_template/strategicpointstemplatewithinstructions2014docx) and use it to complete this assignment.
- This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
- Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center.
- You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite.
Directions/what to do
Consider a potential gap in the literature that is emerging from your ongoing reading in your field of interest including no less than five specific research studies. Using the information from those research studies, state the potential gap that you identified and describe how it emerged from the studies you read.
Based on that identified gap, draft the 10 Strategic Points for a potential dissertation research study.
Identified gap: Lack of health programs and health workers among black and Hispanic communities in Compton.