What is the best way to achieve a peaceful and pluralistic society?.
Please read the article “From Diversity to Pluralism” by Dr. Diana Eck, written for Harvard University’s Pluralism project. Here is a link to the article: http://www.pluralism.org/pluralism/essays/from_diversity_to_pluralism.php With your group, please discuss the following questions and prepare an oral report to deliver to the class.
1. Offer a very brief summary of the article.
2. What is religious pluralism? Please research and explain at least 3 different ideas on this, then articulate your group’s own definition.
3. What are some examples – either historic or contemporary – of religious intolerance. You may discuss examples in the U.S. or internationally. (minimum of 3)
4. Who are some religious leaders or examples of religious communities that have been advocates for peace and inter-religious understanding? (minimum of 3)
5. What is the best way to achieve a peaceful and pluralistic society? Please research at least 3 different ideas on this, then articulate your group’s own definition.
Your in-class presentation: The report should be about 10 -15 minutes. You may use power point or any technology you wish.
What you will turn in:
You will be required to turn in a one page list of sources you used to Professor Wyant on the day of the presentation. Please be sure to cite where you get the information you used in the presentation from. It might be helpful to construct a bibliography containing articles or books you read, or websites containing the information you use in your presentation individually, then assign one person in the group to make it in to the final copy to hand in. Any format is acceptable. Please type up the source page, and be sure to label it with each group member’s name.