Briefly describe the effect of velocity of the clamp (v) on the simulation results.
Test parameters: Bottom clamp is stationary. Velocity of the top clamp is v = 1 mm/s. Compressive displacement of the top clamp is 5 mm.
1) Give the figures of von Mises stress distributions at 1 % and 40 % compression (of 5 mm), and briefly discuss the differences observed [20 marks]
2) Plot and analyse the force-displacement curve for the top clamp [25 marks]
3) Briefly describe the effect of velocity of the clamp (v) on the simulation results [10 marks]
4) Briefly discuss the effects of mesh (element) size on the simulation results (force-displacement curve, von Mises stress distribution, convergence, etc.) (You might build your model with various element sizes!) [20 marks]
5) Briefly explain the difference between 2D and 3D modelling (You might build 2D and 3D models with identical simulation parameters) [25 marks]
Do not forget to include simulation models and result files (CD, DVD, etc.) in your coursework submission!
Hand in: 21 August 2015 Return: 12 September 2015